Friday, June 19, 2009

Last night I had dinner with one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she scolded me gently for not posting. So here I am, contrite.

But I have been busy in very positive ways while I've been away. I have landed full-time employment, which will begin on July 15th. I will be selling retirement products to teachers and school employees. It is, essentially, self-employment, but I am affiliated with an existing agency that will provide marketing support, all the back-office servicing, etc. As I researched them I became convinced that this is a really good opportunity for me. The fact that they are behind me providing leads and other services makes me a lot less frightened about self-employment, but I still get the parts of it that are highly appealing to me. I set my own hours, I don't have to waste time every day in commuting or meaningless office "face time", and I can control my own success or failure pretty directly.

The first step in the process is getting the necessary licenses. I must have a life insurance license to start, and will eventually need a Series 6 securities license. I took an on-line insurance course and passed the live, proctored exam for it yesterday and have an appointment to take the licensing test early next week. Then I plan to start right in on the securities license. Even though I don't have to have it to start, I am convinced that I will feel a lot more comfortable talking with prospects if I know I can handle all their questions.

So for the past few weeks I've been spending my time sort of schizophrenically. I am still drawing unemployment and hope to do so until the new job actually starts, so I still have to comply with all its requirements. Every day I still search the job boards and make sure I apply for at least two jobs a week, as required. (It's not like doing so brought me a bunch of offers before -- I doubt it will do so in the remaining three weeks!) I'm also still writing for that subscription website, so several days a week I am working on those articles, too. Then finally, those two obligations fulfilled, I studied.

I should say, I studied when family obligations didn't impinge. My sister's search for a diagnosis continues and we average a trip to a different specialist every other week or so. Next week we see a neuro-opthamologist because the previous specialist suspects it is something in the major nerve of the eye at the root of the problem. Remember her in your thoughts and prayers, please.

Last week my mother went for a routine visit with her cardiologist, who sent her for a stress test. They called shortly thereafter and scheduled her for a cardiac catheterization. It occurred Wednesday, and they found two arteries blocked more than 80%. They immediately brought in another doctor who did angioplasty and placed a total of three stents in the two arteries. It was very serious, but less stressful than it might sound because it all happened so quickly. Mom is at home recovering nicely and she says she can definitely feel an improvement in her overall health. Amazing what blood circulating through the system will do!

This had the feel of more diary entry than blog post, but there has been so much going on that I felt the need to post it. Perhaps I can get here a little more often in the weeks ahead!


Shannon said...

Congrats on the job! I've known a few people who've gone that route and done really well with it. It will be a good fit for you because one, you're good with people, two, you know teachers and their needs, and three, you will get the financial side quickly. Well done!

Tara said...

Congrats as well, Susan! You'll do great!